Samples and Documentation

Let know to others if you liked or not GdPicture Imaging SDK Softwares.
rayw796

Samples and Documentation

Post by rayw796 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:19 pm

It would be super helpful if you had a how to section in your documentation. Lacking that, it would be nice to have your samples expand routines to what would really be required.

For example, it has taken hours of research on my part on line, through your samples, through this forum to discover how to do something as simple as printing a pdf. Your sample code just shows, object.printimage. In using that, I received a partial of the first page in portrait of a multi-page landscape pdf file.

It would have been nice if the sample showed the actual steps necessary...
object.PrintSetAutoRotation True
object.PrintSetFromToPage 1, object.PageCount
object.PrintImage

Thanks,
Ray

cappy

Re: Samples and Documentation

Post by cappy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Hello,

I was in the process of posting a Thank You to GDpicture and Loic when I saw your post. Perhaps my comments will be helpful to you. We just incorporated GDpicture into our products and I had the same first observations. "I wish that the documentation were better. I cannot find anything." However, the more that I worked with the product, the more that I realized how thorough the information is. But there is a learning curve. It took a good 30 days to get up to speed and I did what you are probably doing now. Reading all of the posts over the last year or two helps a lot, and the sample code helps too.

GDpicture is extremely powerful, which means that it will be used in various applications in many different ways. I am also responsible for writing the documentation for our own products and understand the difficulty in determining what "how to's" and samples to provide because the needs are different for each user.

I am now beyond desiring better documentation. Once you spend a few weeks with the product, you will be too. It takes some work, but in the end, you will be pleased with the end result. Like myself, I think that your main desire will be that Loic continues to work on keeping the product current , improving it, and offering new features that keep us on the cutting edge.

Thanks Loic.

Bob Halko

AgfaDev

Post by AgfaDev » Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:39 am

As a new "maybe to be" user of the product (currently evaluating) I have the same trouble.

My first issue on the HTML documentation is that you are unable to search for a keyword.
Yes, you can outside the documentation page, but not within the page itself:
https://www.gdpicture.com/guides/gdpict ... rview.html

Yes, I agree that using the product and looking at samples and reading the forum you learn how to use it.

But for evaluation purposes, I need info in a few days, not months. I create a prototype to get the basic stuff working and for this a clear and simple
"how to" would really help. I'm not talking about details, but basic features like loading images, showing thumbnails and adding annotations.

Right now, the samples installed are helpful, but what is lacking is a full feature basic sample in all major languages.
For instance, not all samples are present in a particular development environment. When looking at the VN6 samples, there is a lot missing.
The same applies for C++.

It would be better to have 1 sample showing the basic features, and all major languages have this sample as sourcecode.
So when using VB6, you will have all basic features spelled out for you. The same would apply to C++ developers. The same sample, but created in different languages.

Now I have to read different languages and see if I can understand how the feature is used in my own language.

Furthermore, and that has to be corrected:
The link to the knowledgebase does not work on the website:

https://www.gdpicture.com/products/guides/

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:03 am

Hello Dave,

Thank you very much for the long feedback, it will be very helpful for us to improve our support and technical resources. Today we just updated the major version of the SDK and our website, so my answers will reflect that.
My first issue on the HTML documentation is that you are unable to search for a keyword.
For keyword searching purpose you now have two options.

1- Use the search box of the new guides home page: https://www.gdpicture.com/guides/gdpict ... rview.html
2- When you are browsing the reference guide, click the Index button (ton the top toolbar)

I know this can be not super comfortable for everyone so we we plan to embedded the search engine used in the guide home page inside the documentation.
But for evaluation purposes, I need info in a few days, not months.
We offer priority support through our helpdesk located at https://orpalis.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new for users in evaluation phase and for registered customers. So if you are not able to find a specific information in a desired time in the reference guide, forum feel free to contact our team. We usually reply in very short delay.
Right now, the samples installed are helpful, but what is lacking is a full feature basic sample in all major languages
Unfortunately we can not provide all our demo applications in all existing languages (especially for long time legacy languages). What we can do is to share lot of samples written in C# and VB.NET and for other languages we try to provide a kind of small application demonstrating how to embed GdPicture. This plus the several snippets available on almost all parts of the documentation should help to find your way. Again, if you are lost, we offer support :wink:
It would be better to have 1 sample showing the basic features, and all major languages have this sample as sourcecode.
The problem is about the definition of "basic features". In a SDK such GdPicture basic features can vary from an user to another.
Now I have to read different languages and see if I can understand how the feature is used in my own language.
I think the best way is to start by following the doc, it includes lot of snippets written in basic language, this helps most of users to understand the logic and the purpose of each feature.

The link to the knowledgebase does not work on the website:
The link is available now, we were operating a server migration.

With best regards,

Loïc

AgfaDev

Post by AgfaDev » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:36 am

Thank you.
The knowledgebase is working again indeed !