PdfSignatureCertificationLevel Enumeration: 0-NotCertified

Discussions about PDF management.
tcgprocpk

PdfSignatureCertificationLevel Enumeration: 0-NotCertified

Post by tcgprocpk » Wed May 15, 2024 10:28 am

Hi there
I just reviewed the outcome of GDPicutrePDF.GetSignatureProperties and I'm confused with the documentation of
https://www.gdpicture.com/guides/gdpict ... Level.html

Because there's the value 0-NotCertified and the documentation says it's 'standard digital signature. PDF documents can be digitally signed many times.'

Well if there is a 'standard digtial signature', why is the enumeration value called 'not certified'?? Or is the documentation just wrong and the idea is that
0-NotCertified just presents an enumeration which is just a default value, never returned when using GetSignatureProperties()?

And one more question: Assuming 'NotCertfied' although is somehow a signature, what would be then the difference between ...
0-NotCertified
against
2-FormFilling
3-FormFillingAndAnnotations
1-NoChanges
??

I mean, if I have a signature added, somehow I lock the PDFs content, right? To add a signature but allow any change of its content would be completely useless (or why would someone add a signature then?). So I guess, such a silly case is by design not supported. But then: 0-NotCertified has what difference to the other lock-levels??

Thanks for clarification

Hugo

Re: PdfSignatureCertificationLevel Enumeration: 0-NotCertified

Post by Hugo » Thu May 23, 2024 2:03 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback and question here.

There are description related to all certification levels next to each member of the enumeration.
When it comes to the value of NotCertified, this case is relevant for less formal signatures where documents are expected to be signed by multiple parties for example. The document could still be locked using another certification level in future for no further changes to be added to such a document. This is more of a partical use case and is much needed as it allows multiple signatures per document.

All other cases however present differing levels of restricting document modifications compared to 0-NotCertified (which allows more freedom).

Let me know if this answers your question.

Regards,
Hugo Cudd
Technical Support

LeviTaylor

Re: PdfSignatureCertificationLevel Enumeration: 0-NotCertified

Post by LeviTaylor » Thu May 23, 2024 4:51 pm

Hello,Bhu Abhilekh
What is the significance of the NotCertified level in the PdfSignatureCertificationLevel Enumeration, and how does it impact document authentication and integrity?