PDF to Tiff changes the font and print out quality not very

Discussions about image processing and document imaging.
Dabi123

PDF to Tiff changes the font and print out quality not very

Post by Dabi123 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:26 pm

Hi Loic,
When converting a PDF document to a Tiff Image file, I observe that the font of the PDF document changes. Why is that happening? Shouldn't the image be copied as it is from the original...Looks like the document is getting interpretted or something...Also I have set the HorizontalResolution and verticalResolution to 300 for the Imaging object, and Set the PdfDpiRendering of Viewer object to 300 too. I am also calling ConvertTo1BppFast() on the Imaging object, but the file that gest printed out is not very crisp as compared to PDF printout. (The viewer has a good quality though). How can I improve the printing quality of a Tiff generated from a PDF document?
Thanks
Dabi

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: PDF to Tiff changes the font and print out quality not very

Post by Loïc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi,
When converting a PDF document to a Tiff Image file, I observe that the font of the PDF document changes. Why is that happening ?
PDF contains vector informations for fonts, TIFF format not. It is probably the reason that then rasterized bitmap rendering is quite different from the PDF format.

How can I improve the printing quality of a Tiff generated from a PDF document?
I suggest you to use to print the image before converting it to 1 bit depth thought the ConvertTo1BppFast() method (or try to use the ConvertTo1Bpp() method instead). Also, set the printing quality to high quality using the PrintSetQuality() method.

IE:

Code: Select all

GdViewer1.PrintSetQuality (PrintQualityHightResolution)

Best regards,

Loïc

Dabi123

Post by Dabi123 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm

I agree that the PDF has vector information and Tiff does not have that, but an image is an image and should not be converted while saving as Tiff. Moreover, I tried Zetafax, which prints a document as Tif and when I compared the output of Zetafaz, I see the format is very similar if not exact to that of the PDF.. How is that possible?? I am sending the Tif generated from Zetafax and GdPicture along with the PDF document @ esuuport. Can you please look into this and suggest if something can be done for improvising on it..
Thanks

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:21 pm

I agree that the PDF has vector information and Tiff does not have that, but an image is an image and should not be converted while saving as Tiff.
:? Hum... I am a bit confused. I thought you were trying to convert a PDF to TIFF. I don't really understand all...

Please, attach here (or send by mail at esupport (at) gdpicture (dot) com.) the PDF you are trying to convert and the code snippet you are using to do that.

Best regards,

Loïc Carrère

Dabi123

Post by Dabi123 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Sorry about the confusion. I have mailed you the files and the code snippet at esupport.
Thanks
Dabi

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:27 am

Hi Dabi,

You didn't specify that you want to get a 1728 * 2156 & (204/196 resolution) file...

Here you code with some modifications in order to improve the output quality:

Code: Select all

GdViewer1.DisplayFromFile ("policy440.pdf")
Imaging1.SetNativeImage (GdViewer1.GetNativeImage)
Call Imaging1.ResizeImage(1728, 2156, InterpolationModeHighQualityBicubic)
Imaging1.SetHorizontalResolution (204)
Imaging1.SetVerticalResolution (196)
Imaging1.ConvertTo1Bpp
Call Imaging1.SaveAsTIFF(\out.tif", CompressionCCITT3)
Best regards,

Loïc Carrère

Dabi123

Post by Dabi123 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:39 pm

Hi Loïc,
I tried out the code you provided with. The print quality did improve, though not substantially. However, I am still not satisfied wih the font of the tif generated from the PDF file. Is there a way to have similar font if not the same as that of the PDF document??
Thanks a lot for your help.
Dabi