PDF Viewing GdViewer 6.2

Discussions about document viewing.
eharvey

PDF Viewing GdViewer 6.2

Post by eharvey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:23 am

I am having problems viewing multipage PDFs in GdViewer. The pages take a very long time to load. The same document in tif format loads instantly. I have tried the OptimizeDrawingSpeed and DisplayQualityAuto as well as different values for DisplayQuality. The settigs do not seem to effect pdf displaying.

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: PDF Viewing GdViewer 6.2

Post by Loïc » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:55 am

Hi,

You can send us your PDF file at esupport (at) gdpicture (dot) com to get the reason of the loading time.

You can't get the same rendering performances between PDF & Image simply because a PDF needs to be converted to a raster format to be displayed. This operation can't be very fast or quite long. This depends on the PDF content...

Kind regards,

Loïc

eharvey

Post by eharvey » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:56 pm

Your release before 6.1.10 renedered the pdf pages very quickly, but were slightly fuzzy. The current version is very crisp, but takes a long time to load. Is there a way to force it to render in a lower quality to gain speed?

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Hi,

We have fixed this issue.

A new release should be available next week.

Kind regards,

Loïc

steves

Post by steves » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:34 pm

Hi,

Just wondered if this fix will impove the zooming to an area of PDF's.Something that take a second using adobe takes about 30 secs using the autozoom tool on pdf's and uses upto 350MB of memory.Ive emailed a pdf to support.
This pdf also doesnt seem to open properly in the version 5 ocx.

cheers
steve

steves

Post by steves » Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Hi,

What i have found is that if i view the pdf using the viewer and then use .PdfRenderPageToGdPictureImage(200, 1)
then close the image from the viewer and use .DisplayFromGdPictureImage(nImageID) then the picture displayed zooms very fast but
the load time is about 3 times longer.
Is there any way you can created a method like CreateImagefromPDF(filename) which would load the pdf as an image and allow
you to view using the .DisplayFromGdPictureImage(nImageID).This would speed up loading time and zooming as it is an image.
BTW i am only using single page PDF's so im not sure how multiple pages ones would work.

cheers
Steve

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:20 pm

Hi Steves,
Is there any way you can created a method like CreateImagefromPDF(filename) which would load the pdf as an image and allow
you to view using the .DisplayFromGdPictureImage(nImageID).This would speed up loading time and zooming as it is an image.
Yes you can. See this topic: viewtopic.php?t=1235

The PDF rendering mode in GdPicture.NET is not the same as GdPicture ActiveX. In GdPicture.NET we have very hight quality rendering. Now, we are working to get better performances...

Within 1 day or 2 you will be able to get a new faster release :wink:

Cheers,

Loïc

steves

Post by steves » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:37 pm

Thanks Loic for the fast reply as usual.

Yes i found that post and applied the following code

Code: Select all

Me.Viewer.DisplayFromFile(imagename) 'load pdf into viewer
            dim nImageID = Me.Viewer.PdfRenderPageToGdPictureImage(200, 1) 'render pdf to image
            Me.Viewer.CloseDocument() 'close original viewer document
            Me.Viewer.DisplayFromGdPictureImage(nImageID)  'display new super dooper faster zooming image
When using this code there is a pause when loading the image into the viewer,another when rendering the pdf to the image.Although this may only be 5-10 seconds of loading its instant when using autozoom zooming onto an area of the image rather than a pdf file.
That example i emailed you if you zoom into the area around the bricks it took about 45 seconds to zoom compared to <1 second on the image using the above code.

I look forward to testing the new release.This pdf issue is the only negative thing i've found which is stopping us from upgrading
from the ocx version to the .net version.

Keep up the good work.
Cheers
Steve

eharvey

Post by eharvey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:12 pm

I just downloaded Version 6.2.1. It appears to have corrected the issue. Thank you.

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:37 am

Thank you for the feedback.

Cheers,

Loïc

steves

Post by steves » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:41 am

Hi Loic

Just tried the new version and it doesnt seem to have made any difference to zooming in on a pdf.
Was this the new faster release you were talking about ?

cheers
Steve

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:57 am

Hi Steve,

The rendering/zooming speed have been increased around 30/50 % since the previous edition.

Zoom change in .NET editions are slower than ActiveX editions but the rendering quality is better. Also in GdPicture.NET we can support large embedded image (not in GdPicture ActiveX).

We are always working to increase zoom adjustment performances but you have to understand that the rendering mode in GdPicture.NET is not the same that GdPicture ActiveX. In GdPicture.NET we have more features, better support for large file and better quality...

Kind regards,

Loïc

steves

Post by steves » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:27 pm

Hi Loic,

Thanks pointing out the diferences between the 2 components and yes i can see some improvement with the .net.
However in my case i would prefer to see speed rather than quality.Is there any plans to allow pdf files to be
loaded directly into the image component specifying a dpi,rather than having to load it into the viewer and then rendering it across
to the image?

Cheers
steve

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 am

Hi Steve,
Is there any plans to allow pdf files to be
loaded directly into the image component specifying a dpi,rather than having to load it into the viewer and then rendering it across
to the image?
You already can do that. Here a sample to open a PDF and convert each of its page silently to PNG files:

Code: Select all

Dim oGdViewer As New GdViewer
Dim oGdPictureImaging As New GdPictureImaging
Dim GdPictureImage As Integer

oGdViewer.SetLicenseNumber("XXX") 'unlocking
oGdViewer.DisplayFromFile("c:\test.pdf") 'Openning the PDF

For i As Integer = 1 To oGdViewer.PageCount 'Converting each page as PNG
    GdPictureImage = oGdViewer.PdfRenderPageToGdPictureImage(200, i)
    oGdPictureImaging.SaveAsPNG(GdPictureImage, "c:\test" + Str(i) + ".png")
    oGdViewer.ReleaseGdPictureImage(GdPictureImage)
Next
oGdViewer.CloseDocument()

MsgBox("Done !")
Kind regards,

Loïc

steves

Post by steves » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Hi Loic,

Thanks for the example but thats not what i had in mind,you still have to load to pdf into the viewer and then transfer it across to the image engine.
I prefer to use the pdf as an image as it zooms very quickly compared to the native pdf in the viewer.
Loading the pdf into the viewer takes 30 seconds then transfering it across to the image take another 30 seconds.This means it takes twice as long to process.
Loading the pdf directly into the image engine would effectlively remove 30 seconds off the total time taken.

Cheers
steve