PDF display and interdependencies

Discussions about image processing and document imaging.
guruross

PDF display and interdependencies

Post by guruross » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:50 pm

One of my customers called with a benign issue where, every time they view a PDF in our software (GDViewer.DisplayFromFile("mydoc.pdf")), a broken TIF file is generated in the folder of another product, SharpDesk, which came with their scanner. This TIF file is not the product of our code (the symptom is not reproducible on any other customer or in-house testbed), but it is reliably generated on this one customers workstation with each preview. This only occurs when viewing a PDF, not any other image or document type, to my knowledge.

Not knowing the inner workings of the GDPicture, is it possible that SharpDesk is also using the GDPicture library and is somehow hooked into the PDF display process and automatically generating files anytime any process uses the PDF display functions? Could this be a versioning issue? This customer is currently running with either GDPicture v5.8 or v5.9 for our product, I think.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

guruross

Re: PDF display and interdependencies

Post by guruross » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:11 pm

The issue was resolved. The customer had v5.10.0.3, so I updated them to v5.10.0.14 and it resolved the issue of the "temp" files being generated. As a side note, it was occuring for all image types, not just PDF.