Annotations and Thumbnails

Discussions about annotation support.
SJackson

Annotations and Thumbnails

Post by SJackson » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:10 pm

Hi,

I have an application that uses the GDPro Viewer and we also have the Annotations plugin. We store all the annotations in a database as XMP and then load the XMP over the top of the document when a document is viewed.

We only burn the annotations into the document if it is exported out of the system as we want certain users to be able to edit annotations up until the point the document is exported.

I have noticed that when I generate the Thumbnails the annotations aren't displayed in the Thumbnails (which makes sense as it has been loaded from XMP). However, this poses data security issues as it means the data is visible (albeit small) without the redactions to obscure sensitive information.

I am loading Thumbnails by passing the Viewer object into the LoadFromGDViewer method. Is there anyway to have the Thumbnails generated with the annotations if I am laoding the thumbnails by passing in the viewer object?

Regards

SJackson

Re: Annotations and Thumbnails

Post by SJackson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:41 am

I resolved this as I was loading the thumbnails before I had loaded the annotations from the stored XMP.

However, I have since found out that GDPro does not support annotations on mulitple pages by default. Due to this I have to load each pages annotations individually (the xmp is stored in a database and overlayed when the image is displayed in the viewer).

To get the Thumbnails to actually display the annotations/redactions I have to burn the annotations before loading the Thumbnails. After burning the annotations are visible in the Thumbnails but now the annotations are no longer editable (to users who have permissions to edit annotations).

The only way I can get the annotations to be editable is to re-load the annotations from a stream. However, when I do this the Thumbnails do not display the annotations until I burn them in. Thus repeating the infinite loop.

Does anybody know of a method or function to "unburn" annotations? What I need to do is this

1) Load the annotations from a database (done)
2) Parse my XML file to obtain each pages XMP data (done)
3) Load each pages XMP data so the annotations are displayed on each page (done)
4) Burn the annotations temporarily (not done) then load the Thumbnail control with the current viewer to display the annotations in the Thumbnails (done)
5) Unburn the annotations / re-load the annotations without re-loading the thumbnails so that the annotations are editable again (not done)

If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful.

SJackson

Post by SJackson » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 am

Hi,

Our company purchased the various licenses for GDPro and Annotations to use in a commercial product. Currently with the limitations surrounding displaying annotations in Thumbnails without burnning, or not being able to unburn annotations, and not being able to easily save annotations on multipage documents (without a lot of additional processing) it's seeming that the viewer may not be fit for our purpose.

I would appreciate a reply from the support team to at least let me know if what i have outlined above is achievable with the viewer or not. If it is possible an outline of how it may be achieved with the current api.

Regards

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:53 pm

Hi,

We've managed to synchronize ThumbnailEx, GdViewer & the annots.

In the next release you will find a new property in the ThumbnailEx control "RenderAnnotations" that will render in real time the latest state of the annotations over the pages.

Kind regards,

Loïc

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:06 pm