Size/performance

Discussions about machine vision support in GdPicture.
knofan

Size/performance

Post by knofan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:39 am

Hello

Im developing a application for reading barcodes and OCR on products. The idea is to hold the product in front of a camera for a fraction of a second (just like they scan bar codes at the supermarket) then the application looks for a barcode. If it finds one, it uses the barcode else it looks for letters and numbers and tries to decide what article this is.

The reson why is that we dont have barcodes on all products (yet) so this is nesseary. Now, i have tried to search an image from my digital camera, works great! But its 4.4 mb in size (4200x2800 pixels). If i try to shrink it to 1200x800 the accurancy is terrible, its not usable. But when 4+ mb it takes to long time. What is the perfered image size when doing this kind of OCR and barcode search's?

Ill try some different configurations on images but it would be nice to have some input about this. Also, do the Gd-lib have any good interface to connect to cameras?

Thanks

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: Size/performance

Post by Loïc » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:56 pm

Hello,

You should consider 200 DPI.

Also, for the barcode recognition, if you already know which kind of barcode symbology you are looking for you should use the Barcode1DReaderDoScan() overload which takes a Barcode1DReaderType parameter.

Kind regards,

Loïc

knofan

Re: Size/performance

Post by knofan » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:27 pm

Thank you for the answer, did gdpicture have an interface to handle cameras?