SaveAnnotationsToPage() Question

Discussions about annotation support.
JNewhouse

SaveAnnotationsToPage() Question

Post by JNewhouse » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:58 am

Hello,
can you please explain to me the purpose of this function? I assumed it was to embed the XMP file into the pdf file, however i was reading another post on this forum that said you must use the BurnAnnotationsToPage() in order for the annotations to be viewable in different viewers (ie Adobe Reader). this confused me.

Isn't Adobe Reader able to read and display XMP metadata? in which case, you wouldn't need to burn the annotations?

sorry if this is an obvious question, i searched the forums and documentation before posting this question.

Loïc
Site Admin

Re: SaveAnnotationsToPage() Question

Post by Loïc » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:32 pm

Hello there,

Actually the GdPicture/XMP annotations can be rendered in vector mode and manipulated by using GdPicture toolkit only.
We offer a way to "burn" the annotations to a page in order to make it visible and persistent through other viewers. In such scenario, the annotations will not remains editable by any viewer.

If you want to create standard PDF annotations, you have to use the GdPicturePDF class, by code. This way you will be able to create standard PDF annotations which should be viewable in any PDF compliant viewer. Very soon GdPicture will be able to offer a way to control such annotation through GUI. Work is in progress...

Kind regards,

Loïc

JNewhouse

Post by JNewhouse » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:02 am

Hello,
Thank you for the response. regarding your second paragraph, you say "if you want to create standard pdf annotations, you have to use the gdpicturepdf class, by code".

my most important need is to highlight text within a pdf file and to embed a small image file into an area on the page defined by the user (a user's signature image). i see that the gdpicturepdf class has several functions but does not have a way to embed a graphic file into a user-defined position (user draws position with the mouse) is that correct? would that need to be done using the XMP annotations?

sorry if my question seems vague, i just want to figure out which direction is best. XMP annotation or gdpicturePDF.

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:26 am

Hello,
my most important need is to highlight text within a pdf file and to embed a small image file into an area on the page defined by the user (a user's signature image).
You will be able to do that with the XMP Plugin or by using GdPicturePDF (V9). I would suggest to use the second option. It requires some coding and some learning of the class but nothing really complicated.
but does not have a way to embed a graphic file into a user-defined position (user draws position with the mouse) is that correct?
No you are wrong. With GdPicturePDF you can add text, font and path to any PDF. By code.

Regards,

Loïc

JNewhouse

Post by JNewhouse » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:00 am

Hi Loic,

yes, i see that i can add text, lines and such with the GdPicturePDF class, but i don't see a function for adding an image file.

Well, i'm looking at the "Annotations" methods within the GdPicturePDF class, perhaps you mean adding images using methods in the "Images" section?? I will look at those methods, but can you tell me will those methods allow me to embed an image as an "overlay" much like a true annotation would? so what i'm saying is, will the "AddImageFromGdPictureImage()" allow me to embed an image file so that it is above every other object within the pdf page? Also, i guess it will be the equivalent of "burning" in that it is there to stay once i add it?

i hope i don't sound critical, its okay if that is the way it is, i'm just trying to better understand.

one last question please. is there a preference between saving the XMP to the pdf as metadata and saving it to an external file? in general is there a preferred way to handle this? i am new to annotations.

Loïc
Site Admin

Post by Loïc » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:43 am

Hello,
Well, i'm looking at the "Annotations" methods within the GdPicturePDF class, perhaps you mean adding images using methods in the "Images" section?? I will look at those methods, but can you tell me will those methods allow me to embed an image as an "overlay" much like a true annotation would? so what i'm saying is, will the "AddImageFromGdPictureImage()" allow me to embed an image file so that it is above every other object within the pdf page? Also, i guess it will be the equivalent of "burning" in that it is there to stay once i add it?
I really don't understand what you mean here. Anyway, with the GdPicturePDF you should be able to do everything you need for drawing image on PDF. We support alpha channel and all possible PDF blend modes.
is there a preference between saving the XMP to the pdf as metadata and saving it to an external file? in general is there a preferred way to handle this? i am new to annotations.
This depends on what you need to do. If you need yo keep your input PDF as they are, meaning without altering them, saving annotation as external files is a good solution.

Kind regards,

Loïc

JNewhouse

Post by JNewhouse » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello,
I was looking at your HTML documentation online under the "gdPicturePDF Class" section. Within that section of the help file, you have sections for "Annotations (PDF Scheme)" and you have a separate section for "Images".

I was asking about adding an image more like an annotation - that you can turn the display on and off for (ie, hide). Unlike adding an image using the "AddImageFromGdPictureImage()" method, which i believe will embed the image *permanently* into the PDF file.

Regardless, i will test the methods and see what i come up with...